About Parental Engagement
Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD’s Parental Engagement Program model was developed to significantly increase the number of parents engaged in their child’s education.
It is the mission of the program to develop powerful, strong relationships with family, school and community partners, to help strenghten schools, improve student achievement and increase opportunities for families to become actively engaged in their child’s learning.
Who can participate?
- ALL parents of current PSJA ISD students are able to participate.
- To remain elegible, parents must volunteer a minimum of 10 hours at their child’s designated campus each semester.
- This engagement program is designed for all PSJA parents, regardless of home language or status.
- The program is offered at six different locations so that parents from all over the district can have access to opportunities.
• Computer Technology
• Welding Certification
• Auto Mechanics Certification
• Security Guard Certification
• Entrepreneurship Programs:
Nutrition Arts & Crafts, Sewing, Cake Decorating, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Cosmetology, Floral Arrangements, Manicure.
The PSJA Parental Engagement Program is possible thanks to more than 30 community partnerships including South Texas College and Region One. PSJA ISD’s partnership with Region One helps offer Adult Education services, which include English as a Second Language (ESL), Adult Basic Education and GED preparation courses.
PSJA parents have the opportunity to continue their education through structured courses in partnership with South Texas College that can gain them a certification or credential in various fields.
With the assistance of additional local non-profit groups, interfaith groups, workforce development and economic development corporations, parents fulfill their educational needs, as well as, acquire more knowledge in careers and employability skills, entrepreneurship and computer literacy. All services provided to PSJA parents through these centers are free of charge.